Empathy – Put yourself in your customers shoes
Without empathy, we will fail to make the deep connections to each customer and their unique circumstances and needs.
Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, typically referred to as “putting ourselves in their shoes”.
- Pause before every conversation – Before every conversation with a customer, pause and put yourself in their shoes. What are THEIR hopes, fears and priorities right now?
- During every conversation – Whenever you hear them say something significant, consider it from THEIR perspective.
- Do your research – Don’t just guess about their concerns and priorities or make assumptions. Even 2 minutes in your CRM, on their website or social media profiles can make a big difference.
- Expect differences in perspective – As our life experience develops, one of the biggest things that we learn is how different we are to each other. We all see the world so differently! What seems obvious to us is not obvious to everybody else. The pursuit of empathy will enable us to learn so much from the people with whom we speak.
- Empathy in coaching – When we deliberately put ourselves in our customers’ shoes, our coaching with customers will inevitably be more effective.